If you’re anything like me, you love finding little hacks to make cooking easier. And using an oil sprayer instead of pouring from a big clunky bottle is genius! No more pooling, dripping, or knocking over that slippery olive oil onto the stove.
But here’s what I always wondered – can I put the same oils I always use into a spray bottle? Or do I need to buy special spray oils?
I did some digging to find out. The short answer is yes, you can absolutely put plain old cooking oils like canola, grapeseed, etc. into a spray bottle. But there are a few things you need to keep in mind to do it right.
Why Bother Putting Oil in a Sprayer?
First question – why even bother with this, right?
A few reasons:
- You can control how much oil you use much easier. No more drowning food in a tidal wave of olive oil! A quick spray is all you need.
- Since it mists on so evenly, a little sprayed oil goes a long way. Less oil = less calories.
- No more pouring disasters! Have you ever spilled half a bottle of oil trying to get a little bit out? Me too. The sprayer gives you precision.
- They’re just handy to keep around! Spritz on some oil any time you need it.
Which Oils Work in a Spray Bottle?
You’ll get the best results with oils that aren’t super thick and viscous at room temp. We’re talking:
- Canola oil (my favorite)
- Grapeseed oil
- Sunflower oil
- Light olive oil
Steer clear of using straight-up olive oil, coconut oil, vegetable oil, etc. They’ll clog up that spray nozzle real quick.
If you want to use a thicker oil, just mix in a bit of canola or grapeseed oil to thin it out. Problem solved!
Filling Up Your Oily Spray Bottle
Putting oil in a sprayer only takes a couple minutes. Here’s how to do it:
- Use a plastic bottle made for oils. Glass may shatter if you drop it!
- Carefully funnel your oil in using a small stainless steel funnel so you don’t spill.
- Make sure the nozzle is sealed up tight so it doesn’t leak all over the place.
- Shake it like crazy before using it each time to mix up the oil.
And that’s it! Couldn’t be easier.
Now you’ll have the convenience of spritzing on the perfect amount of oil anytime you need it. Give it a try and let me know how you like it!